- 1 The 7 Best Backpack Weed Sprayer Review List
- 1.1 1. Chapin 61800 Backpack Weed Sprayer – Top Pick
- 1.2 2. Chapin 61500 Backpack Weed Sprayer – Best Comfortable Operation
- 1.3 3. Chapin 61900 Backpack Weed Sprayer – Professional Quality Backpack Weed Sprayer
- 1.4 4. Field King 190328 Backpack Weed Sprayer – Best Overall Backpack Weed Sprayer
- 1.5 5. Vivosun Backpack Weed Sprayer – Budget-Friendly Backpack Weed Sprayer
- 1.6 6. PetraTools 3-Gallon Backpack Weed Sprayer – High Performance Backpack Weed Sprayer
- 1.7 7. Husqvarna 4-Gallon Backpack Weed Sprayer – Best Versatile Backpack Weed Sprayer
- 2 Choosing The Right Pressure Sprayers
- 3 How to Use Weed Killer Sprayers: Step-By-Step
- 4 What Is The Best Time To Spray Weed Killer?
- 5 What Are The Worst Weather Conditions To Spray Weed Killers?
- 6 Backpack Weed Sprayer – Buying Guide
- 8 Conclusion
- 9 FAQs
Have you not been able to find an effective backpack weed sprayer? Let this review guide help!
With the right measures and proper care, your garden will look more beautiful than ever. But said beauty needs to be maintained. Over time, you might catch sight of weeds growing alongside plants, eclipsing your lawn’s beauty.
The good news is you can turn things around and save your shrubbery by investing in a backpack weed sprayer. By mounting it on your back, a backpack weed sprayer will allow you to carry a tank of herbicide conveniently.
If you have been struggling with growing weeds in your backyard, below are the 7 top-quality backpack weed sprayers that you can purchase.
|CHECK PRICE →|
|CHECK PRICE →|
The 7 Best Backpack Weed Sprayer Review List
Finding the best backpack weed sprayer to keep the weeds off your turf can be challenging, and rightly so. Therefore, to ensure that you pick the best backpack weed sprayer, we have compiled 7 of the best options available.
1. Chapin 61800 Backpack Weed Sprayer – Top Pick
This backpack weed sprayer from Chapin is arguably one of the best options out there. It features a convenient and straightforward design that you can securely mount on your back. It allows you to eliminate weeds effectively. It is also compatible with most fertilizers, weed killers, and pesticides.
Aside from its fine quality, this backpack weed sprayer comes with a large 4-gallon translucent tank that can accommodate large quantities of the herbicide. The tank also features a wide, 4-inch mouth opening that promises user comfort when it comes to refilling or cleaning.
Item Weight: 9.2 lbs
Product Size: 14.8 x 8.4 x 22.2 inches
Tank Capacity: 4 Gallons
Filtration System: 3-stage
Unlike conventional models, this backpack weed sprayer has a 3-stage filtration system paired with a removable filter. The filter is easily cleanable, and it efficiently prevents dirt from entering the sprayer.
Plus, this backpack weed sprayer comes with three different nozzles for multiple applications. It also has padded shoulder straps to ensure user comfort and hours of spraying operation.
- Suitable for occasional and light usage.
- Features a 3-stage filtration system for superior spraying performance.
- Compatible with most fertilizers and weed killers.
- Comes with a sizeable wide-mouthed tank for easy cleaning and filling.
- Promises a user-friendly design with padded shoulders for convenient use.
2. Chapin 61500 Backpack Weed Sprayer – Best Comfortable Operation
If you are looking for a high-quality backpack weed sprayer, this one is perfect for you. It features a well-thought design that is suitable for light use.
This backpack weed sprayer comes with a large 4-gallon tank with a wide 4-inch mouth opening. As a result, it is far easier to clean and fill than standard weed sprayers. It is also compatible with most herbicides and pesticides.
The eye-catching feature of this particular weed sprayer is its 2-stage filtration system. You can find one filter at the top, while the other is located at the shut-off to prevent dust and debris from entering.
Item Weight: 10.6 lbs
Product Size: 17.25 x 9.75 x 18.25 inches
Tank Capacity: 4 Gallons
Filtration System: 2-stage
Plus, this backpack weed sprayer is packaged with two different nozzles for added versatility. Its poly-spray nozzle is fully adjustable and allows you to switch between a fine to coarse spray within seconds.
Meanwhile, the adjustable foaming nozzle is more suitable for more precise spraying. Besides, this weed sprayer comes with padded shoulder straps to minimize the risk of shoulder strains.
- Features a large 4-gallon translucent tank for long-lasting operations.
- Comes with two different nozzles for added versatility.
- Offers padded shoulders for maximum user comfort.
- Works with most pesticides and herbicides.
- Very easy to clean and fill.
3. Chapin 61900 Backpack Weed Sprayer – Professional Quality Backpack Weed Sprayer
With its exceptional build quality and superior performance, this backpack weed sprayer is ideal for commercial use. Unlike its predecessor models, this weed sprayer arrives with Deluxe shoulder straps paired with lumbar support to reduce negating fatigue and back strains.
Plus, this sprayer comes with a shut-off gauge that allows you to monitor the pressure while spraying. It also has a CF valve that is responsible for maintaining a consistent flow during the spraying operation.
Item Weight: 10 lbs
Product Size: 12 x 7 x 7 inches
Tank Capacity: 4 Gallons
Filtration System: 3-stage
This backpack weed sprayer has a large 4-gallon tank with a 5-inch wide mouth opening for easier cleaning and filling. It also includes three different nozzles for multiple and versatile applications. It is also compatible with most fertilizers and herbicides.
Moreover, such a backpack weed sprayer includes a filter basket to keep the tank free from dirt for enhanced spraying performance.
- Arrives with Deluxe shoulder straps and lumbar support to minimize fatigue.
- Includes a shut-off gauge for checking the pressure.
- Features a CF valve to ensure a constant flow.
- User-friendly design, making it easy to clean and fill.
- Comes with a set of three different nozzles for serving multiple applications.
4. Field King 190328 Backpack Weed Sprayer – Best Overall Backpack Weed Sprayer
If your old weed sprayer has let you down, we guarantee that this particular weed killer will not. Featuring a pump design, this type of weed sprayer is an ideal purchase for quickly getting rid of weeds. It has a few high-wear parts, ensuring its longevity.
Apart from its accurate spraying patterns, this backpack weed sprayer has a built-in agitator that makes it suitable for carrying powders and water-soluble solutions. It also has an internal pressure chamber to maintain pressures up to 150 PSI. As a result, it is more effective at spraying herbicides in tight areas.
Unlike standard models, this backpack weed sprayer has a robust construction that uses internal components made from brass. It also uses superior Viton seals that deliver exceptional chemical resistance to minimize any leakages.
Item Weight: 12.8 lbs
Product Size: 15 x 22.5 x 9.5 inches
Tank Capacity: 4 Gallons
Filtration System: 3-stage
Also, this sprayer arrives with 4 different nozzles suitable for multiple applications. It comprises an adjustable brass nozzle, 2 flat fan nozzles, and a foaming nozzle. Plus, you can find a pump handle for user convenience.
The Field King backpack weed sprayer includes a one-way valve that is ideal for preventing spillage even if the tank is inverted. It also has a threaded bolt for reliable handle attachment and wand storage for added comfort.
- Premium construction with internal components made of brass.
- Multiple safety features included such as one-way valve, threaded bolt, and Viton seals.
- Features a built-in agitator that is suitable for powder or water-soluble solutions.
- Prevents chemical leakages with its pump design.
- Offers versatility with its four different nozzles.
5. Vivosun Backpack Weed Sprayer – Budget-Friendly Backpack Weed Sprayer
Designed for indoor and outdoor use, this backpack weed sprayer packs a punch with multiple features at a low price. Thanks to its funnel design, it is easier to fill than most conventional backpack weed sprayers.
Also, this backpack sprayer has a translucent 1.35-gallon tank that arrives with pre-marked calibrations for checking fluid levels. This allows you to know when to refill without disassembling it.
As far as user safety is concerned, it features a long watering wand that provides you with better reach. Consequently, you can spray herbicide in areas that are hard to reach.
Item Weight: 3.03 lbs
Product Size: 17.13 x 7.32 x 7.28 inches
Tank Capacity: 1.3 Gallons
Filtration System: 2-stage
You can also find durable shoulder straps with this backpack sprayer for convenient spraying operations. It also includes a comfort-grip handle with a shut-off valve that ensures a steady flow.
Plus, it has a relatively thicker bottom that gives it added sturdiness and stability.
- Features a big bowl design for easy filling.
- Ideal for indoor and outdoor use.
- Translucent tank with calibrations provides added user convenience.
- Long watering wand for better reach.
- Sturdy shoulder straps to minimize backache.
6. PetraTools 3-Gallon Backpack Weed Sprayer – High Performance Backpack Weed Sprayer
This is a battery-powered backpack weed sprayer known for its superior spraying performance and reliability. It features an HD3000 battery that makes it suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. You can use it effectively to spray herbicides in a lawn, garden, houseplants, and greenhouse.
Also, this backpack weed sprayer delivers a long-lasting spraying operation of up to 2.5 hours on a single charge. It can spray up to 50 gallons of solution and maintain pressure up to 65 PSI with its adjustable pressure knob.
In addition, this backpack sprayer uses a lead-acid battery, which claims to have nearly 3 times the battery life of lithium battery sprayers. You can also change its battery conveniently if required. It also comes with an automatic AC charger that can fully charge its battery within 6 hours.
Item Weight: 9.93 lbs
Product Size: 19 x 12.1 x 8.6 inches
Tank Capacity: 3 Gallons
Filtration System: 2-stage
The PetraTools weed sprayer includes a multi-purpose wand and nozzle for versatile spraying operations. It also includes a handful of accessories such as a plastic handle and nozzle attachments to meet your spraying needs.
Besides, this weed sprayer has a translucent tank with markings to ensure easy refilling. It also offers various other valuable features, such as a PSI pressure adjuster and a wide mouth lid.
- Uses a powerful and long-lasting HD3000 battery for reliable spraying operation.
- Can spray up to 50 gallons of herbicide in one hour.
- Quick-charging battery fully charges in 6 hours.
- Includes a handful of accessories for added value.
- Delivers versatile spraying operations with its multi-purpose nozzle.
7. Husqvarna 4-Gallon Backpack Weed Sprayer – Best Versatile Backpack Weed Sprayer
The Husqvarna backpack weed sprayer is a handy purchase that is designed to fulfill the spraying needs of industrial and suburban terrain.
This sprayer for getting rid of weeds features a no-leak pump design that is one of the safest options out there. Not only does it prevent chemical leakages, but it also accommodates most herbicides and fertilizers. It is also suitable for spraying water-soluble and powder solutions.
The fantastic thing about this backpack weed sprayer is its versatile design that does the job of a piston and diaphragm backpack. It also has an easily accessible pump, allowing you to change the seals within minutes without the need for any tools.
Item Weight: 12 lbs
Product Size: 16.38 x 10.83 x 23.03 inches
Tank Capacity: 4 Gallons
Filtration System: 2-stage
This weed sprayer also includes a pressure regulator that ensures consistent pressure of 25 PSI while spraying. Furthermore, it features deluxe comfort straps for added user convenience. The sprayer arrives with a durable steel wand and a set of 3 nozzles.
- Can be used in both residential and commercial landscapes.
- Features a no-leak pump design for housing most chemicals without the risk of leakages.
- Comes with a pressure regulator to maintain flow while spraying.
- Delivers superior user comfort with Deluxe comfort straps.
- Promises more value with durable components and multiple nozzles for numerous spraying needs.
Choosing The Right Pressure Sprayers
Before you go out shopping for a weed sprayer, it’s important to remember that not all weed sprayers are created equal. Read on below to learn more!
As the name suggests, backpack weed sprayers are wearable like a backpack. They feature shoulder straps that allow you to mount a tank of herbicide on your back with ease. As a result, your mobility is not affected when spraying herbicide. So, if you are looking for a weed sprayer that offers maximum comfort, the backpack weed sprayer is your go-to option.
Typically, most backpack sprayers for weeds have shoulder straps that are often padded to ensure user comfort. They are suitable for spraying jobs that can last several hours while being sturdy enough to hold a full tank.
Backpack weed sprayers also feature a manually activated pump for spraying herbicide like any other pressure sprayer. However, you can also find various models that promise battery-powered operations. But because most backpack weed sprayers are large, they make an ideal purchase for medium to large-size gardens.
Ideally, your backpack weed sprayer should have a pressure regulator so that you can adjust the pressure accordingly. For a backpack weed sprayer, a nozzle pressure of 4 bars or 60 PSI would be perfect for spraying herbicide.
Tank Weed Sprayer
Tank weed sprayers are versatile as they feature manual and battery-powered spraying operations. Typically, these tank weed sprayers are freestanding units with a handle that you can move from one place to another. However, numerous models include a carry strap that allows you to carry the tank on your side.
Unfortunately, tank weed sprayers are not as mobile as backpack weed sprayers. However, tank weed sprayers would be ideal if you are spraying for short periods or have a small garden area. Plus, if you are on a limited budget, they can be a cheaper alternative to backpack weed sprayers.
A nozzle pressure of 40 PSI is considered ideal if you are using a tank weed sprayer. Anything lower than this might cause drifting.
Hand-Held Pressure Weed Sprayer
If you are tired of using bulky weed sprayers, a hand-held pressure weed sprayer could be the game-changer for you. Hand-held pressure weed sprayers feature a compact design that is very versatile and comfortable to use.
They are lightweight and easy to carry, thus making them suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. You can use them outdoors, such as in your garden and greenhouse, or indoors to spray insecticides on your houseplants.
Since hand-held pressure weed sprayers are designed for treating indoor plants, a 15 to 40 PSI nozzle pressure would suffice.
Size And Capacity
Tank capacity plays a vital role in how you will be able to use a backpack weed sprayer. You should opt for a model with a good capacity without taking away from overall portability.
You can easily find backpack weed sprayers falling in the 1 liter to 25-gallons range. Bigger tanks can increase the cost of the sprayer.
For a hand-held pressure weed sprayer, you’d require a small tank. In a perfect world, your tank capacity should be around 1 to 2 Litres. Anything larger than this can result in wrist fatigue.
Tank weed sprayers are perfect for spraying herbicide in small gardens and lawns. This means that you won’t be needing a larger tank. Ideally, a 1 to 4-gallon tank capacity would be enough.
For medium to large-size gardens, you’ll need a larger tank. Preferably, you should aim for a 3 to 7-gallon tank for your backpack weed sprayer.
How to Use Weed Killer Sprayers: Step-By-Step
Using weed killer sprayers is quite simple for experienced gardeners and plant lovers. To ensure your safety and a smooth spraying experience, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to use weed killer sprayers:
- Before starting with the spraying operation, always make sure that you wear protective clothing. Most herbicides use concentrated chemical solutions that can cause skin damage if they make contact.
- It is always wise to release any pressure that may be trapped inside your sprayer tank before using it.
- Open the lid of your weed sprayer’s tank by turning it in a counterclockwise direction. Next, remove the pump system.
- Fill the tank with water up to the desired level. Most weed killer sprayers have translucent tanks with pre-marked calibrations for this purpose. Also, keep an eye out on the herbicide company’s instructions for adding the ideal dose of weed killer.
- Now, pour the solution into the tank and close it with the tank lid until it is airtight.
- Start developing pressure in the tank using the pump system. Gradually elevating the pump handle and then pressing it back down would create pressure within the tank.
- Once enough pressure is developed in the tank, the pumping motion will get more difficult.
- Now, grab the applicator wand with its nozzle pointing downwards. After making sure that you have your protective gloves on, open the nozzle and press the trigger. Use this to perform a ‘test spray’ and check if the tank pressure along with the spray pattern is acceptable. If not, you may adjust it as per your needs.
- Make sure that you are wearing your safety equipment throughout the spraying operation. Your safety gear must include a respiratory mask, gloves, and goggles.
- Now, direct the sprayer hose in the direction you wish to spray and press the trigger until that area is sprayed.
- After the spraying operation is complete, remove the tank’s lid and wash it thoroughly with water.
- After rinsing, discard the remaining water properly so that it won’t affect your foliage or mix with drinking water.
- Store the weed killer sprayer in a safe and covered location where it is out of reach of children and pets.
What Is The Best Time To Spray Weed Killer?
Weeds can attack your lawn throughout the year, so it is essential to decide when to spray a weed killer.
Time Of Day
The best time to use a backpack weed sprayer is mid-morning once the plants have dried up after experiencing dew or another type of moisture. Spraying during mid-morning also saves you from the glaring sun.
Take note; run-off due to early morning due can lead to the weed killer becoming diluted. Also, plant growth tends to be reduced during the late evening, causing the rates of absorption to all fall. There can be dew at night, too.
In the case of frozen ground or snow, it is pointless to start spraying. If there is no snow, the best time to spray a weed killer is midday when the sun is out.
As for a temperate climate, the best time to apply weed killers is late morning or early afternoon. This is because plants are least active from dusk till sunrise.
You have the luxury to spray weed killer at night or during the day in case of warm climates. However, you need to ensure that temperatures are favorable for the weed killer to be effective.
Ideally, you can apply weed killer at night when the temperatures lie between 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit. Or you can apply it during the day when temperatures are around 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit.
How Often Should I Spray Weed Killer?
Below is how often you should spray a weed killer depending on the season. Take note; for the best effect, you should treat your property twice – once in spring and once in fall.
It is a known fact that weed killers are most effective in warmer climates. However, this does not mean that you cannot apply weed killer in winter. If you wish to apply a weed killer during winters, make sure you do so during the day. The chemicals in the weed killer solution become less effective if they are sprayed at night, as they might freeze.
Spring is the perfect season to spray weed killers because the climatic conditions are warm. Most weeds germinate during this period, so applying weed killers in this season can stop them from germinating. You can then respray it after eight weeks to eliminate any weeds that managed to survive earlier.
You can spray weed killer in the summer, but you must do it by the end of the season. This allows you to negate the threat of weeds germinating until spring arrives. The best time for weed killer application in this season is late morning or early afternoon.
Weeds are most susceptible in autumn. In fall, you can apply weed killers to ensure that the weeds will be unable to survive until winter.
What Are The Worst Weather Conditions To Spray Weed Killers?
There is no doubt that weather plays a significant role in determining the effectiveness of a weed killer.
Spraying weed killer after rain is perhaps not the wisest choice you can make. This is because the rainwater can dilute the weed killer, making it less effective. Ideally, you should wait 24 hours after rain to ensure the plants dry out before applying a weed killer. In regions that receive a lot of rainfall, you should stick with weed killers that are rainfast.
Windy conditions are not suitable for spraying weed killers. This is because strong winds can result in spray drifting, which can harm other plants.
Extreme Heat or Cold
Extremely hot or cold weather conditions are the worst time to apply weed killers. Most weed killers would just evaporate in the extreme heat or freeze in cool temperatures, thus making them ineffective.
Backpack Weed Sprayer – Buying Guide
Below is a list of several aspects that you should consider before buying a backpack weed sprayer.
Before you buy a backpack weed sprayer for your garden, it is always wise to consider its size. If you have a large-sized garden, then perhaps investing in a model with increased tank capacity would be more viable and vice versa.
A backpack weed sprayer with a small tank capacity would make the spraying operation more cumbersome and time-consuming if you own a large garden. Similarly, investing in a backpack weed sprayer with a large tank capacity for a small-size garden would be both expensive and will hinder mobility.
Remember that choosing the correctly-sized backpack weed sprayer would almost always ensure a smooth spraying experience.
One of the most important aspects to consider before investing in a backpack weed sprayer is comfort. Although most backpack weed sprayers feature padded shoulder straps for user comfort, not all of them promise maximum comfort.
Some designs might just induce shoulder or back pain if worn for extended periods. Similarly, some shoulder straps might wither out or easily snap, compromising your safety. Therefore, it’s always wise to invest in a high-quality backpack weed sprayer that offers maximum comfort.
Some high-end models also include lumbar support paired with cushioned shoulder straps to maximize user comfort. Such backpack weed sprayers are worth purchasing because they ensure high comfort levels and last a long while.
Another thing to note before purchasing a backpack weed sprayer is its durability. Most high-end backpack weed sprayers feature robust construction, with components made of stainless steel or brass.
These models are long-lasting as they can resist chemical solutions. Also, they have fewer high-wear components and sturdy shoulder straps, making them less prone to wear and tear. So, if you are out there looking for a top-quality backpack weed sprayer, you must ensure it’s durable.
You may think that those small weeds do not pose a threat to your plants and flowers, but they can actually be a menace. If not taken care of, these weeds start leeching the life out of your foliage by stealing their resources. On top of that, they multiply quickly while leaving your flowers to wilt.
Getting your hands on the right backpack weed sprayer can make lawn care much more manageable. We highly recommend you to go for the CHAPIN 61800 4Gal Backpack Weed. It features a practical and robust design, sturdy internal components, and multiple features for a smoother experience.
By considering several qualities such as comfort, durability, and tank size, you can improve your chances of landing the perfect backpack weed sprayer deal.
We hope that our review list of the best backpack weed sprayers will help you make an informed purchase.
How do I choose a sprayer?
Choosing a sprayer depends on numerous factors. These include area size, comfort, and durability. A backpack sprayer will be a viable option if you seek maximum comfort. Similarly, a backpack or tank sprayer would be ideal for spraying a large area size due to their large tank capacity. However, for small area sizes, a hand-held sprayer would be perfect.
What size sprayer do I need for 10 acres
A 10-acre land requires a large amount of herbicide. The area size determines the size of the sprayer that you would need. Typically, a gallon of herbicide can cover up to 1000 square feet of land. This means that you will require approximately 44 gallons of herbicide for every acre. So, for a 10-acre area, you will need a 100-gallon unit.
How many gallons does it take to spray 1 acre?
A 1-acre land will require one of the smaller units on the market. A gallon of mixed solution can cover up to 1000 square feet of land. So, to spray an entire acre of land, you will require about 44 gallons. However, these figures may vary depending on the type of solution and amount sprayed per minute. It may also vary depending on herbicide instructions.